While most individuals who use Beego have successful experiences, from time to time we do receive reports of people attempting to scam or defraud the community. We have found that one of the best ways to stay safe is to ensure that all transactions take place locally, in-person and with cash.
Remember that Beego is a local classifieds web site and not all ads are reviewed before going live to site.
Please take the following precautions while using Beego :
- When buying or selling, you should meet in-person to thoroughly inspect the product and then exchange funds
- Meet in a public place with many people around, such as a plaza, mall or police station.
- The police have offered their services to assist members of the public to sell their vehicles or other expensive items at a police station.
- When possible, travel with a friend or family member.
- Never mail a cheque or wire money to sellers. Services like Amazon Payments, Google Wallet, Android Pay, Canada Post, Western Union or MoneyGram should be avoided. Typically, scammers will use these services and will even falsify documents from a legitimate company. It’s best to avoid them entirely and keep things local!
- Beego does not offer any sort of protection programs or secure payment systems for Beego items. Any emails or web sites that talk about such systems are scams, even if they may have the Beego logo. If you receive any emails promoting these services, please forward the message to us.
- Be wary of emails asking you to confirm your account or a password or email address change that was not requested. These are very often phishing emails by scammers trying to gain access to your account. Any emails we send requiring you to log in will bring you directly to our site. The Beego sign in page should always show up as being secure in your web browser.
- Be aware of common scams. The following are more in depth articles on tips for avoiding scams while checking out the
- Do not give out personal or banking information (e.g. TRN number, bank account number) over the Internet.
- Inform Beego of any attempted fraud or suspicious emails, ads, or other activity by community members. In the case of fraud, file a police report and contact us.
- Use common sense. If something sounds too good to be true- it probably is.
632 total views, 2 today